Monday, February 12, 2007

A Black Man who is Not Black Enough and We've Overdosed on Anna Nicole Smith Already!

So, just when is a person black enough to run for political office in the U-S and expect support from within the black community? When I first heard this on Comedy Channel's Colbert Report, I thought this was a joke. But when author and columnist Debra Dickerson sat down for the interview, I realized she was serious. She was talking about how U-S Senator Barack Obama is NOT a black American since he is not a descendant of African slaves. She went on to say he had not lived the "black experience" and that may affect his support in the black community. I initially thought she was indicating that B.O. had not faced the prejudice that people of color face...until now and ironically that comes from within the black community. Dickerson went on to say that B.O. was not African-American but African African-American. This issue was also addressed on 60-Minutes Sunday night in a report by Steve Kroft. I can think of many reasons a candidate won't get the support of somebody. Not being conservative enough, not being liberal enough, not being moderate enough. IMHO, this particular issue doesn't seem to be a good argument for not supporting someone for office.

So, is there anyone who hasn't heard everything he or she needs to know about Anna Nicole Smith already. If you need to hear more, please take my portion. Please, I beg you. I got tired of this story the day it happened and it was on every newscast. ANS is yet another person who is famous for being famous and I'm tired of all the cameras that have been trained on this human car-wreck. Yes, I feel sorry for her in the loss of her son last summer and now she's died and left an infant child behind. But everybody has claimed to be the baby's daddy except me and my oldest brother and I'm not sure about my oldest brother. Please. I think I'd rather go back to flogging the astronaut woman for a a couple of days. The astronaut's lawyers have to be thanking ANS for taking over the headlines though. Of course I should be careful what I wish for in asking for change of headlines. Paris Hilton may realize that nobody is paying attention to her and do something outrageous just so she can recapture her top spot in non-news.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Joe.
For once I totally, beyond a reasonable doubt, and to a moral certainty, agree with you! ET and Channel 3 have literally beat this dead horse (ANS) into oblivion. It's getting idiotic.

Every day it's been the same. They have covered everything from what was in the refrigerator to what she ate, to what the dog ate. I would not be surprised if they even report when she last pinched a dump.

There just can't be that many sick people who are tuning in to keep this story going. No wonder they are stealing vases from grave yards!
..............................
Obama seems to be sincere and does have that knack for catching the camera's eye. Very charismatic. Remains to be seen, jury is still out. He does have a lot of the JFK traits and speech cadence. He just might pull it off!
...........JD

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Black people are some of the most racist people I've met, at least here in the South. Many are just as racist against other blacks as they are against whites. A lot of black teens are scared to do well in school or dress appropriately due to fear of being called "too white."
Oh and there is no such thing as an African American. There are only Americans. I refuse to use AA because I think it's divisive. Am I European American? NO

4:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just when I thought I had heard it all about ANS.......Kris starts into telling about glow in the dark condoms and a leopard print ironing board cover last night. The look and expression on Claudia's face........PRICELESS!

Hoyt Wooten must be turning in his grave right now.
Where is the news?
.................JD

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must be talking about Richard. Kris doesn't anchor with Claudia..he does the morning shows.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stand corrected!

It was Richard.
Kris is the guy with the new twins and, congrats are in order.

But still......the look on Claudia's face......PRICELESS!

............JD

2:34 PM  
Blogger Joe Larkins said...

This is a test

1:26 PM  
Blogger Joe Larkins said...

this is a sign on test

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home