Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Pssstt!! Hey buddy, wanna buy a used TV set?

The article in this morning's CA about analog TVs caught my attention. For those who didn't catch it, it focused on how analog television sets will basically become obsolete February 17, 2009 as the nation converts to digital. It goes on to talk about converters and such and why buying an analog set now is not a good idea.

That made me think about how many TV sets my lovely and talented bride and I have in our house. We have seven. We didn't intend for it end up like that. We started out with one in the den and one in the bedroom. Then we got tired of running from the kitchen to the den to find out what just happened in the ballgame or the program we were watching while we went on a snack run. When we turned one of the bedrooms into an office, we had to put a TV in so we could get caught up on what was going on in the world or get an update on the local weather if some nastiness was brewing. When I enclosed the screened-in porch with glass and it became our "lanai" (in Floridian, it means glassed in porch") we added a TV so we could relax as we watched the birds feeding just outside and laugh at the poor folks having to drive home to points east on North Parkway. We have a small set for those staying in our guest room. The last place I put one was after I built out our attic a couple of years and turned it into a master bedroom, full bath and walk-in closet. I was still working on the Morning show down on the river and a guy told me that he enjoyed watching in the morning but that because of his busy schedule of trying to get the kids and himself out of the house, there was only one time he ever actually sat down to watch. I'm not sure if he made editorial comments or sounds while sitting there on the throne to watch. Maybe it helped him stay regular. Anyway, I installed a set in the master bathroom after seeing similar setups in show homes. My wife could watch me make bonehead mistakes on TV while she put on her make-up.
That's seven sets I think.
Anyway, I’m not on the cutting edge when it comes to technology. I just recently heard they had this Internet thing on computers and I'm thinking it's here to stay. I was concerned it might be a flash in the pan.
As for the TVs, I’ll wait for a while. If the deadline is 2009, I may start looking in the circulars around 2010 to start replacing them. In the meantime, I guess we'll have to start finding interesting things to watch. I hope something comes along.



2 Comments:

Blogger Tif said...

I've got a '70s master bath that needs redoing. If Bethany gets sick of having you underfoot, tell her she can send you out to Collierville, and we'll put you to work!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Joe Larkins said...

Just what I need is more honeydo stuff although I will admit, when Bethany says jump, I now say "how high and where". I had to blow up your photograph to figure out who you were. I will tell you, a woman with eye protection, a dust mask and holding a sander in her hand is a woman after my own heart.
Thanks for writing.
Regards,
Joe

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home