Monday, July 31, 2006

It's started.

I woke up to the sounds of silence at 4:45 Monday morning. Normally that's not a bad thing except the whole house was quiet. No AC running, nothing. It's amazing how quickly a house can start heating up this time of the year in the MidSouth, especially after the power has been off for a full hour. Still I figured if that's the worse thing that can happen, I'm lucky.
Then I got an email from a friend of mine about the resignation of Howard Meagle as GM from WMC. At this point, I don't know the particulars and I'm sure someone out there does. Heck, I don't even have it confirmed. I'm merely sharing at this point what was on Shoptalk.
But I have to admit if it's true, I hate to see Howard leave. He was station manager at KFVS in Cape Garagedoor (Girardeau) Missouri when I first signed on with that station. He left not long after that to take a GM post with the company in Savannah. I liked Howard and found him to be a friendly, straight talking manager. I always felt I knew where I stood with Howard. You don't get that much from many managers these days. I had met with him earlier this year and we had an enjoyable chat. I'm not sure if the ratings turn-around on Union was the primary cause of his decision or if it was just a factor. Anyway, best of luck to Howard as he moves forward.
I would imagine that some folks on Union have been feeling a little antsy these days with the slide from atop the ratings pyramid. One does not have to have any great powers of foresight to anticipate more changes there.

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve Steffens said...

Joe, do you think Peggy could be in trouble after this?

10:16 PM  
Blogger Joe Larkins said...

At this point I think every option will be considered and the higher you are on the food chain the more likely you are to end up in someone's gunsights. For some folks it's not a matter of IF but WHEN.

4:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If 5 puts the likes of Bernie Mintz back to work......they will be number one again! And speaking of which....Where's Debbie Hall?

3 has "Hutch" working for them so no wonder they are catching up! All he needs is Paula Haddock to help! Numero Uno is 3 months!
....JD

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tommy Stafford is absolutely right!!!!

TV 5 needs to go back to the basics and the station needs an overhaul all the way around. If not, things will only get worse.

WMC's news operation needs new and better management and a better direction.

Maybe the big dogs at Raycom will read this and other blogs, thus be responsive and not passive to change for the viewers -- for the better.

5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home