Friday, September 15, 2006

Oh woe is me, woe is me!

The world is turning upside down. I was driving on Stage Road near Raleigh-Lagrange and I did a double take as I saw a bunch of cars lined up at a gas station. The big attraction? Unleaded regular priced at $2.19 a gallon. How did it manage to drop so much? The cynics among us might say that someway, somehow the drop in the gas prices as we approach the midterm elections is a ploy to keep a certain politcal party in power. I personally don't buy into the suggestion that a group of companies that managed to rake in obscene profits would stoop to such levels. Neither would their cronies.
Then the news this week that the NYTimes is getting out of the broadcasting business so it can concentrate on its other interests. Not many people outside the company realize that not only is WREG (aka the station Down On The River) the first broadcast property purchased by the NYTimes, it is also considered their flagship station and is where the broadcast group is headquartered. Some folks in the building are strictly employees of the NYTimes, not WREG. I consider some of those to be friends and hate to see them lose their jobs which they will if they can't be absorbed into the local station. How will the employees at the station DOTR function when the NYTimes not only takes its blue flag but also the "Rules of the Road". For those not familiar with that piece of HR work, it's a list of how people should conduct themselves and treat each other inside and outside the station. They were so proud of them that each employee got a wallet sized laminated copy and an 81/2 by 11 inch laminated copy for the desk. One overzealous ND even had a copy printed that was about two feet by three feet and was displayed on a brass easel in the newsroom. It was finally taken down when the ND realized the studio crew kept hiding it to keep it out of camera shots in the newsroom. I found the wallet sized copy of the Rules of the Road opened a lot of doors for me. You just slip it behind the lock, pull it forward and voila', the door is open. (Goodnight folks, try the veal, it's the chef's favorite!) I was often accused of being in the ditch instead of the road where the rules where. I think the general concensus was that the RotR were followed by most of the higher ups when it suited them.
I'm also concerned about what will happen to all the stuffed "moose" that were distributed with the copies of the Rules of the Road. According to HR, The Moose was to be used to level the playing field between the littel guys and the big guys in the NYTimes. If you presented your Moose, you could share your opinions even if they might not be shared by the big guys. (Note to self, the Magic of the Moose didn't work.) Perhaps I shouldn't have let my dog use my moose as a chew toy.
Will the honchos at the NYTimes want their RotR and Moose back? I hope not. Maybe they could sell them to the new owners of the broadcast group which might in turn help the NYTimes stock.
These things have me so troubled that I don't think I'll be able to blog for at least a week. I need to see if I can work through this. So, bye for now.

8 Comments:

Blogger autoegocrat said...

You should sell both of them on eBay.

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've heard 3 is definitely run more like a professional company than a tv station where people yell, swear and throw temper tantrums. and that's just the managers here.

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anybody know what is going on over at 5? I happened to drive by the station on Union today, and I could have sworn I saw big chunks of their news set sitting in the parking lot.

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember the moose, but not the rules of the road. And doggoneit, I seem to have misplaced my moose.

So not only am I not talking about the moose in the room, I can't even find the moose in the room.

Someone help me, my moose is on the loose. Sorry, I'm a bit lightheaded.

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Channel 5 must be getting a new set, or at least a modified version of their current. I'm not sure which one, unfortunately. If you watch their newscasts, although they did a clever job trying to hide it, you can tell they are in a temporary set. I particularly have liked seeing them in front of their night backdrop during the Noon newscast!

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they're remodeling the studio including a new black floor. moved the set for a day to do floor.

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think 5 is getting a new set. So you probably did see chunks of ther old set sitting out. Can't wait to see what it looks like. Hope they go a different way than Fox, cause that backdrop is just ugly.

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Channel 5 is getting a new set they are shipping the old one to a station in Texas.

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home