Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Something to Be Thankful for this Thanksgiving!

I used to think there was no such thing as truly bad publicity. As a former ND down on the river once said, "I don't care what someone says or writes as long as they get the call letters right." Well I'm not so sure the initial decision by News Corp (Fox) to air this OJ Simpson interview prior to the release of his new book was anywhere close to a smart decision. For those who have somehow missed it, The Juice was hypothetically explaining how HE would have whacked his wife and her boyfriend IF he had done it. I won't and don't make any bones about it. I think he did it and it was only by throwing a huge amount of money at lawyers that OJ was acquitted. Let me say I always liked OJ. I watched him play pro football and loved watching him in the Police Squad movies. Heck, I even liked him in the old rental car commercials. Now, I just wish he'd go away and play golf or do whatever and stay below the radar screen. I feel the same way about Robert Blake. I always enjoyed Blake as an actor as well but now, just go away.
I don't know who came up with the idea of the book and/or interview for Simpson. It was a bad idea and I don't know that anyone could really say it was a good idea. Oh, don't think for a minute that some folks out there wouldn't tune in. It's kind of like a car wreck on the road. Morbid curiosity prompts drivers to rubberneck. Thank goodness this mess got cleaned up in time.
My faith (to some degree) has been restored when it comes to what passes as programming on television. It's something to be thankful on this week of Thanksgiving.

6 Comments:

Blogger Joe Larkins said...

I think you hit the nail squarely on the head. I fully expect this project to go forwward somewhere, somehow and that if there is a dime to made from it, Rupert will get his share.
Regards,
Joe

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Joe! Happy Thanksgiving to your family.

I think something is going on when they pull up on something like the OJ thing. Remember how they continually ran and re-ran the planes flying into the Trade Center and then later on came out with movies?

To be honest I think the sickest thing was the running of the JFK/Zapruder film over and over when it was first released. This in light of his young children being exposed to it.

I think there is something more coming regarding this OJ "whodunnit" that we don't know about.

I would love to think that people are changing for the better and that their taste for the morbid is going to the other way.
..........JD

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the subject of being thankful for what you got, rumor is Andy Wise is very unhappy at the station DOTR and may be looking elsewhere. Anyone know why or if it is true? Hope not.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Joe Larkins said...

I haven't heard that about Andy. I know he is one of two marquee reporters DOTR and is promoted rather heavily on air. Unless there has been a big change in the culture of the newsroom I would think he'd be inclined to stay but then I also know that in the past he had made some noise about possibly going to Atlanta which may be his hometown. Perhaps he might address that since I know he reads this blog.

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy, as a fellow co-worker who is also unhappy with the "culture of the newsroom" I urge you to not comment on this. I know that you might want people to hear this straight from your mouth but the after effects are not worth it...

The culture of the newsroom changes constantly and if you are planning to move, I wish you the best and know you will do well wherever you go... I honestly would like to see you run for some type of office... You have my vote.

Imagine the signs

Herenton vs. Wise

Get Wise

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh let him comment. What difference does it make? Reporters have been known to successfully go into politics. Look at Jerry Springer. And they eventually made an opera about him.

Just think of it. An Andy Wise opera.

It could happen.

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home