Friday, December 23, 2005

I've blogged more this past week than I have all year.

Wait a minute, I've only been blogging since Tuesday. lol
This will probably be my last post for this Christmas weekend. I ran into a former coworker and her husband at a restaurant in Southaven Thursday. I really would have liked to visit with them since I used to make it a point to annoy "D" at every opportunity. I couldn't since I was meeting my elderly aunt for lunch and to give her a photograph. It was a picture of my grandparents' house during the 1937 Mississippi River flood. The house, which used to stand in the now almost non-existent town of Dorena, Missouri, had water up to the roof line. Several people are standing on the roof and one of the small boys may be my dad. I'd share the photo with you but I haven't figured that out yet on this blog. The picture, which was about 2 inches by four inches, was crumpled and looked like it had been stepped on by a muddy boot. I cleaned it up and removed the wrinkles as I'm trying to teach myself Photoshop. It only took me about six hours of work and it looks okay in my opinion. I'm planning to give it to my Dad tomorrow. This may be his last Christmas. He was diagnosed with cancer back in April and right now the prognosis is not good. He's 77 and at one time I would have thought that was old. But as I'm about to turn 50, I've changed my opinion on age. Anyway, I hope it brightens his day a little.
After lunch with my aunt, I stopped by to see an elderly, ailing friend who lives just behind Graceland and has since 1962. My friend who is 87 was diagnosed about a year ago with inoperable cancer. My wife made some pralines, minature walnut pies and cheese wafers. I wanted to drop them off because he has a sweet tooth. His wife, is bedridden and has alzheimers. One of their sons lives with them and helps take care of them. My heart goes out to them this holiday.
And for those of you who read this blog, please, be safe if you have to travel over the Christmas holiday. I hope you have a Merry Christmas.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say I've enjoyed your blog. So much crap on the net, it's refreshing to find something worth reading.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Joe Larkins said...

Thanks for your kind comments, but I'm not sure anything I post is worth reading.
Regards,
Joe

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't sell yourself short, so far it's been very entertaining. Plus, the behind-the-scenes stuff is captivating (call it a guilty pleasure). I really enjoyed your posts on Jerry Tate as well as why you quit. I've added you to my daily read list.
mj

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Grizzly Adams! I love the beard!
I can't wait to see that picture!
Come back to Mississippi and give us a holler!

D

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home