Thursday, February 16, 2006

An imagined conversation

George: I guess I just don't get it. A handful of folks hide behind their masks of anonymity and launch their attacks. Don't they realize this involves freedoms they should feel lucky to have and yet they abuse them.

Dick:Yah, they don't realize that when they carry out their attacks from wherever they're hiding, planning and scheming to take somebody down or destroy them, that they are in effect giving others the reason to clamp down on those freedoms. Fewer and fewer people are willing to step up to the plate anymore. Don't they get it?

George: I know I'm not alone in my frustrations. I realize the situation is not perfect, but I had hoped when we got to this point we'd be able to establish a meaningful dialogue where people could argue their particular side as adults. They know who I am and where I stand. I don't hide anything. I didn't start this conflict but I'm just trying to get things back on track. Instead, a handful of people have managed to demean or destroy things. Is it just a power trip on their part? Am I just naive?

Dick: Look at it from their side. Maybe they've been kicked around before and maybe they don't feel empowered. Some people have a reason to be that way, but others appear to be just following the crowd, not really appreciating the damage they're doing. Meanwhile there are people out there who kind of like what we're doing. I'm almost to the point where it's just not worth it and I'm ready to pull the plug on this whole Iraq thing.

George: Iraq thing. I thought you were talking about anonymous bloggers who spew their venom and hatred for whatever reason in on-line postings.

Dick: Better get ready. It looks like they are about to launch another attack. Don't you just wish they'd come out in the open for a change?

George: Okay, which group are we talking about now?

Dick: Incoming!!!!!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe: Great to find you on the internet. Jim, formerly at MBG now in Portland, Oregon at OnStagePDX@aol.com Write soon!

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's good. Did your kid write that?

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, You need to go to Thadeus Matthews blog site and read the stuff on there! This guy is dead serious about some items and pulls the cover off of some things. Holy cats! Talk about mean spirited blogs!!! On another subject:"Hey Russ Hodge, did you call Jonesboro to see if it's snowing yet? Gene Roper over at 13 already has. No snow yet." Snow-gasm, Snow-gasm!
..........JD

7:18 AM  
Blogger Joe Larkins said...

JD,
thanks for the heads up about Thaddeus. I check in on him periodically to see what he has to say.
As for the pending weathergasm, I'm about to blog on that.
Regards
Joe
By the way, are you the same JD I used to work with who once went by the name of Dude?

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh, who's Gene Roper? I work at 13 and don't get it.

And it's "ice-gasm."

But yeah, Thaddeus' blog is retarded.

-ds

8:01 AM  
Blogger Joe Larkins said...

I never met Mr. Roper and I regret that since he sounds like he was quite a character. I think he started out as a reporter for the CA and later got involved in broadcasting at WHBQ around 1953. He died about one year ago at the age of 84 and among his many accomplishments, his obit showed that he also worked for the OSS.

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You actually think that I would stoop to peggybluestv.blogspot's level. Give me a break. peggyphillipblogspotspiritliveson.blogspot was just a satirical site to show how stupid peggybluestv was: revealing peggy's resume, starting an email campaign, etc., all of which he/she/they never materialized. The first entry was just to put some scare into the person or persons responsible for that site and make fun of the site saying it would disect Peggy's resume and start an email campaign. What a joke. This whole thing is a joke. Thanks for playing, Joe.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

test, test

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy, this is weird ... I was Googling around on the net on some family business and just encountered your blog, which briefly mentioned my late father, Gene Roper.

He WAS quite a character and it's nice that you mentioned him. In addition to his years as the evening news broadcaster and program director at WHBQ (from 1953 to 1961), he worked in television for RKO until 1968; his last TV years were at CKLW-TV, which served the Detroit region. Prior to his TV years, he was a frequent singer/performer at Memphis Open Air Theatre, PR director at Ole Miss, and the first PR man at Memphis State, a writer/critic for the Commercial Appeal, and covered Memphis State football on radio. After leaving television, he was recruited by Mayor Henry Loeb (following the MLK assassination) to serve as the city's labor negotiator and, years later, he became President of the City of Memphis Hospital Authority. In WWII, he'd enlisted as a private in the Army Air Corps, but later became an officer and served in OSS (as you noted) in the China-Burma-India theatre. In addition to all that, he was father to seven kids, most of whom live in Memphis. He passed away last February after a long illness. I wish you'd had a chance to meet him; despite his varied career, television broadcasting was his favorite field and I'm sure he would have enjoyed your observations.

Thanks!

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home