Monday, April 03, 2006

Tornado warning sirens, howling dogs and a really good, locally produced movie

There's nothing like the sound of tornado warning sirens to put the fear of God in you. The wailing sound is designed to get your attention and by golly it did just that Sunday night. Fortunately for those of us in Memphis, most of the really nasty stuff went to the north of us. Unfortunately, severe weather is blamed for the deaths of at least 15 people in Dyer and Gibson counties. I used to travel that area on a regular basis covering stories and got to know some folks in that area. Now, unless it's storm damage or a big murder story, those areas are generally considered out of sight and out of mind by Memphis television stations and these days the Commercial Appeal ignores them as well. Heck, I don't even think the Commercial Appeal covered the Winkler murder, relying on AP reports instead. Granted, Gibson County is considered Jackson's ADI, but there are still a number of people who watch Memphis TV.
I mentioned the howling dogs. As I have written in previous posts, my lovely and talented bride and I rescue Scottish Terriers. The biggest of the two noggin-head dogs is Newby who howls at the sound of sirens from firetrucks, ambulances and at 3:30 every Wednesday afternoon when they test the tornado warning sirens. Mack, the second dog, barks in harmony to Newby's howling. As you might imagine, they had a field day last night as the tornado warning sirens wailed.
One other note: Time is running out if you haven't seen Divine Manipulation of the Threads which is showing through Thursday at Malco's Studio on the Square in Midtown. This film by Bevan Bell, who works down on the river as a videographer, is well worth taking the time to view. My wife and I learned some new slang (they had subtitles to translate) and the film also showed us how to use dance as non-verbal communication. The film generally moves along at a good pace and locals will see many familiar places and some familiar faces. Don't pass up the opportunity to see this. No, I am not getting any money to say this. To my knowledge, they shot this film without a budget. Congrats on a fine piece of work.

2 Comments:

Blogger M.Sea said...

Thank you for the kind words. I am an actor in Divine Manipulations. I also have a blog:www.mseaview.blogspot.com

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I (seriously) thought Dyersburg was in the Jonesboro DMA for some reason...

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home