Thursday, September 28, 2006

You Fried What? And a Good Time Was Had by All at the Memphis Flyer Bash.

Some folks make it a point to stop by the Mid South Fair just to lube up the old gastro-intestinal tract with the huge turkey legs, funnel cakes and see what new something that someone has figured out how to deep fry. In addition to the usual stuff you can find Fried Snickers and Fried Twinkies. I'm firmly convinced there is someone out there trying to figure out how they can deep-fry water. I can hear them now "No man, you gotta get the grease hotter so it won't separate!" I haven't actually been to the fair in years and just discovered this week as the fair is winding down that I didn't have to venture there for the latest culinary fried delight. My lovely and talented bride and I stopped by the Memphis Flyer's big "Best of Memphis" bash in the downtown area Wednesday night. We weren't sure how big of a deal this was. It was HUGE! We ran into folks we knew, we ran into folks who actually admitted in person they read this silly blog and we met a bunch of other folks as well. It was during our "mingling" that a gentleman stopped by holding a tray of what I thought were fried chicken strips. I picked one up and bit into it and voila! It consisted of strips of pulled barbecue that had been deep fried. It was actually pretty good. I would have gone back for seconds except for the fact that the person holding them disappeared into the crowd. This whole Fried Barbecue thing may be old hat to most folks. If it is, maybe I just need to get out a little more. Anyway, if they could just add gravy to that, it would probably soar to the top of the "Heart Attack on a Plate" dishes.
As for the purpose of the Memphis Flyer's "Best of" Bash, I never got around to finding out who ranked where until this morning when I went on-line. I was told there were a couple of suprises this year and they were right with station DOTR scoring 2nd and 3rd place in the news anchor category. You know some rankings may never change such as the Best Burger in Memphis. Huey's should always lay claim to that particular title and I'm not just saying that because co-founder and co-owner Thomas Boggs lives across the alley from me. I know that when it comes to those considered "Best" in the local news business some live and die by the results. I never made it to the top three so I never had anything to worry about one way or another. I will say congratulations to those who made the top three list this year in the way of local news, weather and sports. You have earned bragging rights by the job you have done.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess someone shoulda taught you the finae art of stuffing the ballot box. You woulda been No. 1 with a bullet. I guess it's too late to introduce you to Harold Ford Sr.

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think there is one thing that would be great "FRIED". How about some of these big fat down home Memphis criminals.

You get caught carring a gun (without a permit) you get Fried. You steal a car you get .... you break into a home ... you get the picture.

The last one leaving Memphis can flip the switch.

OH! I almost forgot! You drive a car without insurance you get...

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home