Monday, February 20, 2006

The new ND down on the river gets a thumbs up from some of the troops!

The guy at the helm of the news department down on the river gets some good reviews from some of the folks who work for him. Bruce Moore, formerly of WVEC in Norfolk has been at the helm of WREG since the last week of January. He's described by his former co-workers as a real journalist who worked his way up through the ranks in his former newsroom. Word on the street in the Bluff City is that he's actually trusting his people to go out and do news. This contrasts with the past couple of NDs who spelled out exactly how they wanted reporters to cover things. I'm hearing that instead of micro-managing the product from the office, Moore is allowing reporters and videographers to go forth and cover things, trusting their judgement in the field. What a concept. I'm hearing it's a welcome change. On top of that, I'm hearing he TALKS to his people and acts like he's actually been in the field. That's making for some happy campers down on the river who appreciate it. And as you well know, a happy newsroom is a more productive newsroom, especially in the long run.

4 Comments:

Blogger Joe Larkins said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'll never say never but I won't hold my breath either.

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do know that I've been watching d.o.t.r more and more as of late. I've enjoyed Claudia and Richard together. Seems like they've been together for years, very fluid.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Steve Steffens said...

I agree; they both seem better off than they were at their prior locations.

Claudia, in particular, really looks like she enjoys what she's doing, and I will be curious to see how the February numbers shake out for 3 at 10.

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think leftwingcracker hit the nail on the head. I agree that Claudia (and Richard IMO), look like they are enjoying their job, like they actually want to be there. It really comes thru. I wasn't expecting much from d.o.t.r., but I am watching them more and more if i watch the local news.

On a similar note (on "enjoying being there"), without naming stations, some of the locals are almost painful to watch. Is it just me, or do more and more of the local news people seem "plastic+cheesy" to you (and no, i'm not talking about Joe Birch's hair LOL)? One of the morning shows has the same effect on me as fingernails on a chalkboard. I noticed this nationally a few months ago on ABC Nightly News. It was right after Peter Jennings pasted away. They had Elizabeth Vargas filling in at anchor (before her getting the permanent co-anchor position). As she told the story about some type of explosion/bomb in Iraq (that had killed approx 35 US soldiers), she had this huge, fake smile on her face. Her smile never waivered. I don't know, maybe I'm just to critical. I keep remembering William Hurt in "Broadcast News". Ok, I'm off my soapbox now...

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home